image

Walter Reed Army Medical Center (D.C.) Switchgear Replacement

Owner: U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
Location:
Washington, D.C.
Completion Date: June 2005
Role:  Prime Contractor


The former Walter Reed Army Medical Center provided medical care for more than 150,000 active military personnel and veterans since it opened its doors in 1909. The facility is now known as the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center after merging with the National Naval Medical Center and moving to Bethesda, MD, in 2011.

In preparation for the Walter Reed switchgear replacement project, Singleton performed significant research in order to maximize the amount of cable that could be installed early in the project without disrupting existing electrical services. This process included developing a plan to minimize outages and interruption to ensure Walter Reed staff could continue to provide first-rate care for patients.

As the prime contractor, Singleton navigated multiple requests for design changes and unforeseen site conditions in order to successfully complete the project. Singleton began its work with the demolition of a building, parking lot and underground coal storage bin to prepare the construction site. With the construction of a new building, Singleton installed three new sets of 15kv switchgears and accompanying mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and fire safety assemblies; replaced the feeder distribution system throughout the base; and swapped out power to 30 buildings on the Walter Reed campus.